Before going in-depth of the Article let me ask you a question, What is the most Important in any blog??
The answer as you correctly guessed is content obviously.
As we know that ” Content is the King “, therefore quality content and the way content it is written is of prime importance for success of a blog.
I hope all of you would agree with me that search engines understand the information on the web pages and then provide better search result and Schema.org is an ideal way that refines the content for the search engine.
Google webmaster central blog offers guidelines to the bloggers that help them to markup their best content in ways that will help Google to identify it and show them in search results.
There are some of the key points that Google Webmaster tell bloggers to implement on their blog:
1) Use schema.org on their blog to help Google identify your site elements like post title, header, sidebar, footer etc.
2) Use Google Authorship
3) Put Quality content
As in this Article we are focusing on Schema.org so lets discuss Schema.org
Schema.org is an initiative launched by Bing, Google and Yahoo on 2nd June 2011 in order to create and support common set of schemas for structured data markup on web pages.
Schema.org is a joint effort in the spirit of sitemaps.org to improve web by creating a structured data markup schema supported by major search engines. This helps search engines to understand the information on web pages and provide richer refined search result.
In layman terms the purpose of Schema.org is to help users to find “Right Content “.
With the inclusion of several accessibility properties into schema.org it is easier for publishers and webmasters to connect with the end-users with most useful content and help users to locate and consume content that is most appropriate for their specific needs.
Okay let me give you an example:
A blind users may want to locate a text book that is available with particular accessibility features and format or user with hearing impairment may need to locate captioned version of video. I hope Now you are able to relate What I am trying to convey .
In recent past there were three species or animals that are adored by people, chiefly bloggers.I know you guessed it correctly.
Yes, I am talking about Penguin,Panda and Hummingbird.
If I talk about Hummingbird, In the recent Hummingbird update you might have observed that Google has changed the way they used to show search result completely.
1) I searched “Songs of Eminem ” and I got this result as shown–>
Hence, with Schema.org you can add more information in your articles and Google will show them in the search results as shown in the above examples
A) A list of Albums
B)A list of songs for each Albums
C)A list of Upcoming shows
Besides implementing schema to your blog you have another option i,e to add Micro-data in your articles to show more precise, accurate and appropriate results.
Now you might be wondering what is Micro-data??
No worries here is the answer of your question.
Micro-data is a kind of new structure for search engines which will help them to filter data according to their value. It will assign specific type of label for specific type of content such as people, reviews, recipes etc.
In simple terms it makes information really easy for search engines to figure out and index.
Hence search engines will have to make less stress on finding accurate content for search results and as a result you if you have implemented the above told, your blog post will get higher priority.
Micro-data uses simple attributes in HTML tags to assign brief and descriptive names to items and properties .
Let me share a snippet showing HTML marked up with micro-data:
So I would suggest you to add schema to your blog so that your blog became compatible with these new shifts in SEO algorithms and your content becomes more precise and accurate when Google will show your content in search results.
Implementing Schema.org in WordPress Blog:
For Genesis Theme Users:
If you have Genesis theme then you do not need to install any plugin for it as Genesis 2.0 already has schema implemented on its latest framework and upcoming child themes as well.
For Non-Genesis Theme Users:
If you are a non-Genesis theme user then you need to have plugin in order to add schema.org to your blog.
The plugin is All in one schema.org rich snippet. It is really one of the good plugin for non genesis theme users.
Download Plugin by clicking here
This plugin helps in various ways:
1) Boosts CTR ( Click through Rate )
2) Improve SEO rankings
3) Supports most of the content type
4) Works perfectly with Google,Yahoo, Bing and Facebook
In order to install via dashboard follow these easy step:
Upload the plugin zip file that you have downloaded
Once you have uploaded the zip file, Install the plugin as shown
Once it is installed click on “Activate Plugin” and hence your the plugin will be functional.
Once it is functional you can Configure Rich snippet accordingly in every post in order to customize your results on search engine.
The option to configure Rich snippet comes below the content box in every post
Hence, I would encourage you to use this plugin as it performs really well that why it has received 4.7/5.0 rating.
- Google webmaster central blog offers guidelines to the bloggers that help them to markup their best content in ways that will help Google to identify it and show them in search results.
- Use schema.org on their blog to help Google identify your site elements like post title, header, sidebar, footer etc.
- Schema.org is a joint effort in the spirit of sitemaps.org to improve web by creating a structured data markup schema supported by major search engines
- In recent Hummingbird update you might have observed that Google has changed the way they used to show search result completely.
- With Schema.org you can add more information in your articles so Google will show them in the search results.
- Micro-data is a kind of new structure for search engines which will help them to filter data according to their value. In simple terms it makes information really easy for search engines to figure out and index.
- All in one schema.org rich snippet plugin can be used by non genesis users to use schema.org in their blogs.
If you have any suggestions or queries than feel free to drop your comment in the comment box.
If you find this article important , do consider it sharing with your friends on social networking websites.